Okay… Here’s something I might regret posting about, but for me it’s a new discovery I’m sure to exploit. I have the reputation in the family of being the “weird” one. This post will either prove that right, or prove me a genius.
So last week, I was confined to the house by a series of torrential storms and found myself going crazy, HUNGRY for something to snack on and there was nothing, nada in the house. As I rummaged through all the places I store food I came upon a can of crushed pineapple. Aaah, I thought to myself. Suddenly I had remembered a Weight Watcher’s snack/dessert my mom used to make. It was a pack of single serving chocolate powdered Alba skim milk and the serving measurement of crushed pineapple, mixed up and put into the freezer for a delightful dessert for only one serving of fruit and one of milk.
I am not on that diet and did not remember serving sizes and nor did I care to. All I had was a can of fruit and an envelop of regular powdered milk. I pulled out a mixing bowl and dumped the envelop of milk in there, then added the whole can of pineapple and 2 TSPS. of baking cocoa. Stirred it up and found it too liquid-y. What to do, what to do? The light bulb goes on and I added, get ready for the kicker, 2 TBS. sugar-free orange Metamucil. You read that right. I was looking for something to absorb all that juice and was not disappointed. Spread the mixture on top of a piece of aluminum foil, wrapped it up and put in the freezer. I love orange/chocolate flavor… and this was SO good that it was all I could do to stop myself from eating the whole thing before it hit the freezer. Well, let me just say there was an unexpected benefit from eating this snack. Do I really have to say? TMI? Let’s just say I was one happy camper the next morning!
Over the weekend, Father’s Day weekend, I told my family about my recipe and I got gawks, comments and laughs. My family’s like that; but I’m damn proud of myself! So happy to invent a great tasting, low calorie snack that won’t penalize you for indulging. So what’s your reaction to this slightly different recipe?
FYI about the recipes below. I’ve not personally made any of these, though will try them at some point.
- Vodka Slush (mapleleafblondie.wordpress.com)
- Pineapple-Mango-Banana Smoothie with Spinach & Chia Seeds (marenellingboe.com)
- Pineapple-Papaya Salsa (julesorganicliving.com)
- Pina Coladas (mapleleafblondie.wordpress.com)
- Vegan Coconut and Vanilla Panna Cotta, Macadamia Tuille and Pineapple (thewayfaringbaker.com)
- THINK FAT-FREE MILK IS HEALTHY? 6 Secrets You Don’t Know About Skim Milk (secretsofthefed.com)
- Pineapple Smoothies (leannstastes.wordpress.com)
- Coconut Tapioca Pudding With Toasted Pineapple (theeightytwentyrule.com)
- Pineapples, Brussel Sprouts and Avocados (sistersinseparatecities.com)